Carroll County Courthouse
Architect William J.J. Chase of Atlanta designed at least nine Georgia courthouses, including three on this
tour. For Carroll County, he built an Italian Renaissance Revival palace with a 3,700-square-foot courtroom,
one of the largest in the state. The ceiling in this room is 25 feet high. The exterior of the building
exhibits many common features of the style: rusticated ground floor walls with smooth walls above, windows
varying in size, shape, and ornamentation, round arches flanked by columns or pilasters, and an entry
framed by pilasters supporting a full entablature.
A 1926 fire destroyed the previous courthouse, which was built by Bruce and Morgan in 1892-93. Its
cornerstone stands on the lawn near this building's main entrance. Both the older cornerstone and the 1928 cornerstone have Masonic symbols and the names of architects, builders, and elected officials carved into their sides. Interestingly, both also identify the chief orator at
each of the two cornerstone-laying ceremonies. In the days before radio and television, oratory was a
significant form of entertainment.
Carrollton Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
P.O. Box 3011
Carrollton, GA 30117
Visit our Site
From U.S. 27 southbound, turn left (east) on Alabama Street and continue through the Carrollton town
square. The courthouse is two blocks on the right.