Harris County Courthouse
Construction of the Harris County Courthouse officially began in 1908
with an elaborate ceremony surrounding the cornerstone laying. As part
of its coverage, the local newspaper listed items placed inside the
stone: photographs, flags, unusual pieces of old currency, newspapers
from Hamilton, Columbus, and Atlanta, a list of the names of Hamilton
residents, and "many other objects which will be of great interest when
opened to the observation of future generations when this courthouse
is demolished and a newer and better one erected." Fortunately, Harris
Countians seem to be in no hurry to tear down this stately old building.
In fact, it was rehabilitated and a new annex was added to the rear
of the courthouse in the summer of 1998.
The Neoclassical Revival design, by architect E.C. Hosford, emphasizes the entrance portico, a two-story
pedimented arrangement with six ponderous Doric columns and a full entablature. A balcony hangs from the
four central columns. Colossal pilasters define the corners. Taken together, these elements give the
building a feeling of massiveness and solidity more characteristic of the Greek Revival than the
Roman-based designs of other Neoclassical courthouses on this tour.
Pine Mountain Tourism Association
P.O. Box 177
Pine Mountain, Georgia 31822
(800) 441-3502 ext 5
Visit our Site
The courthouse is located on U.S. 27,
on the left if southbound,
on the northeast corner of the Hamilton town square.