Heard County Courthouse
Austere and utilitarian, the Heard County courthouse, built in 1964,
exemplifies the Late Modern approach to the design of public buildings.
Such nonessential features as clock towers and grand entrances
were eliminated and ornament was carefully avoided. Efficiency was a
primary goal, resulting in flat roofs (no wasted space in attic corners),
low foundations (no need for basements), and low ceilings (air conditioning
made high ceilings unnecessary). Informality was also the order of the
day; thus, the courthouse was built on a conner of the square rather
than in its center or on a facing block.
A reminder of an earlier time still stands next to the square. The old county
jail and museum, built around 1912 and now the home of the Heard County
Historical Society, is a two-story, red-brick structure with a central
tower housing a gallows complete with trap door. Its design, typical for
the small town county jails of its day, was once considered to be modern
and efficient. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic
Heard County Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 368
Franklin, Georgia 30217-0368
Visit our Site
From U.S. 27 southbound at Franklin,
turn left onto Ga. 34 East (Main Street).
The courthouse is one block on the right,
on a corner of the town square.