Troup County Courthouse
Often constructed through a New Deal program such as the WPA or the
Public Works Administration, the courthouses of the 1930s generally
were built in one of the two styles, Colonial Revival or Stripped Classical.
Troup's 1939 courthouse,designed by William J.J. Chase, is an example
of the latter. It is a style, as one observer has noted, that blends
classicism, Art Deco, and utilitarian frugality.
The "stripping" of classical design elements can be seen at the main entrance where in the place of a true
portico, there are only the outlines of columns and entablature. These are applied to the front for
symbolic and decorative, not funtional, reasons. Nonetheless, these courthouses retain their dignity due
in part to their formal composition and use of marble and other costly materials.
The previous courthouse, constructed in 1904, occupied the center of
LaGrange's town square where the statue of LaFayette now stands. The
rambling Neoclassicical/Beaux Arts pile burned in 1936. A Confederate
monument, which stood on its east side, now stands in a park on the
north side of downtown.
LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 636/111 Bull Street
LaGrange, Georgia 30241-0636
Visit our Site
From U.S. 27 southbound, turnright (west) on Greenville
Street, go one block to the LaGrange town square, turn right
on Ridley Street. The courthouse is one block on the right.